Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My Big Fat Belly - Friggin 40 Weeks

I can’t believe I made it this far.  I truly thought that I would have not only had Carter by now, but that he’d be at home with us.  But we’re not too far from that!!  My 40 week appointment was today and again, I had not progressed at all from what I’ve been since week 36.  So, they decided to admit me tonight.  Justin and I will have our bags ready and head to the hospital at 8pm to “check in”.  I love how they say “check in” when referring to going to the hospital.  It’s certainly not a hotel.  What a strange way to word it!

Anyway, around 9pm they’ll start my first dose of Cytotec.  Depending on how that starts my contractions/progresses me, I’ll get another small dose at 1am.  Hopefully by 8am, I will be induced enough to have the doctor break my water.  If not, they’ll put me on Pitocin to speed things up to where they can break my water.  My doctor said that that chances of having a c-section have now increased since I’m having to induce, but I kind of knew that was coming.  You run that risk with forcing a baby to come out instead of waiting for them to come on their own.  Problem with leaving them in there longer is that it’s not safe for the baby.  As comfy as they are, at some point, they’re going to have their first bowel movement called meconium.  If Carter does this while he’s still in my uterus, they’ll have to do an emergency c-section to get him out so that he doesn’t inhale the amniotic fluid that has his poop in it.  There are several other reasons why docs don’t like babies going past 40 weeks, but as far as I know, that is one of the biggies.  Doc did say, however, that he won’t do a c-section just to do one (a lot of doctors get impatient and just opt for c-section to move things along).  He’s going to try to make it to where I can give birth vaginally, he just wanted me to know that if Carter still isn’t making his way on his own, we may have no choice.

Either way, our sweet little boy will be here tomorrow, December 28th.  There is still a small chance that he could be born today, like if the Cytotec works REALLY well on me.  However, that’s highly unlikely.  As of this morning, I’m up to 36 pounds.  Bummer.  I really didn’t want to go over 35.  However, had Carter actually come at a decent time instead of choosing to stay put for the entire 40 weeks, I know I wouldn’t have gained that much.  I don’t even care anymore.  I’m just so ready to meet him.  To see what he looks like, to see if he recognizes me and my voice and how he’ll react when he sees me.  So I guess my next post will be announcing his birth!!!  Thanks to all my fun readers for still following my blog when it became nothing but pregnancy related crap.  It’s hard to talk about anything else when that’s all that’s going on with you! 

IMGP5914

40 Weeks exactly – is it even remotely possible to get any bigger than this???

5 comments:

stephanie said...

the next time you write a blog entry, you will have baby carter. that is the most exciting thing ever. good luck and godspeed :)

Jenny Strickland said...

YAY!!! Good luck with everything! I will be praying for y'all!

Allison said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you and Justin! Tomorrow is going to be life changing. You and Carter are in our prayers and we look forward to meeting him in the next few days.

Laura said...

Super exciting!! :) Good luck with everything! It's such an amazing miracle! And don't worry about being 36 pounds.. girl!!- you're growing a baby! I gained 40 and have a 5 month old and am down to my last couple pounds to lose.. (and i'm not worried about it at all) not to mention, so much of that is water weight, and I put on like 10 lbs of water weight in the last couple weeks. RELAX! You have a baby coming soon!! <3 haha

The Langham's said...

I'm wishing you well. I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet little fella.

Archive