Monday, December 12, 2011

Jingle Bell Run 2011

This past weekend was the Jingle Bell Run 5k.  My firm has Birmingham’s largest team every year and I always have at least 10 of my friends sign up with me, even if they don’t all actually show up to do the run.  This year I had 9 of my friends sign up, only 4 of which actually ran though.  Justin and I have done this race with my firm every year since I’ve been working here.  Last year was the first year I had to walk the race instead of run it.  If you’ll remember, I broke my ankle during the Race for the Cure in October and we were about to leave to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa a couple of weeks after the Jingle Bell Run last year, so I was playing on the safe side and walked the 3 miles instead of running.  This year, I was obviously not going to run the race at 8 1/2 months pregnant, however I did fully intend to walk the 3 miles again.  Those plans got shot at my 37 week doctor appointment when I found out I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced already and the doc told me not to do it.  So I had to sit on the sidelines this year taking pictures of my fellow employees and friends doing the race without me!

IMGP5861

Getting ready to start

IMGP5862

And they’re off!!

IMGP5866

Anyone who has run this 5k knows that the hardest part of it is the massive hill that’s right at the beginning of the race.  You can kind of see the sea of people going upwards in this picture, but it doesn’t do it justice.  It’s probably a good idea that I didn’t walk the race.  It most likely would have taken me 30 minutes just to get up this hill!!

IMGP5869

Justin was the first person signed up with our firm to finish.

IMGP5870

IMGP5871

He finished in 23:31 per the clock, but it was most likely less than that because he wasn’t at the front of the line when the race started.  That’s not a personal record for Justin for a 5k, but he was just coming off of running a 40 mile trail run the weekend before that.

IMGP5874

My neighbor Chrissy finished in 26 minutes.  She’s amazing!!

IMGP5875

Shelly was able to finish in 38 minutes with literally no training prior to the race.

IMGP5876

All of us after the race.  Funny story….right after we took this picture, some old guy behind us tapped me on the shoulder and said “Ma’am, I hope you don’t mind, but I took a picture of your belly”.  Really??  What do you say to that??  I literally just chuckled a little bit and turned around to face my friends again and everyone was giving me a weird “what the crap was that” face.  Justin didn’t understand why he didn’t just take the picture and not even tell me.  What was the purpose of telling me?  It’s not like I can say “no I do mind” after he’s already taken the picture.  I would love to know what he plans to do with it.  Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Yes, I’m still pregnant.  Full moon theories didn’t help Carter make his way to the world.  I’m 38 weeks tomorrow and my 38 week appointment is Wednesday at 9am.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pray that I’m further dilated and effaced and still showing progression towards getting this show on the road!!  My stomach, back, brain, feet, muscles and overall attitude would greatly appreciate the prayers.

1 comments:

Jenny Strickland said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I want to start running! =)

I will be praying for you friend! I know you are ready!

And why would that guy take a random picture of your belly? Weird!

Archive