Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Plan B

Photobucket

I have finally finished my book Caught by Harlan Coben. It was a great book and if you like mystery and thrillers, I suggest reading it. I was originally going to move to House Rules, but I am actually throwing a different book in there first. It's a book called Plan B. The author is Pete Wilson, my old pastor at Cross Point church when I lived in Nashville. I was searching for a church to attend when I was living in the country capital of the world and was suggested Cross Point by one of my managers at my old firm. When Lillian moved to Nashville, I finally had someone to go with me!! We both loved Cross Point and loved Pete. Lillian and her husband Craig still attend Cross Point today.

Let me just say this about Pete. He goes in to preach and EVERY Sunday, I felt like the sermon was directed at me. That's when you know you have a good pastor. He makes you feel like everything relates to you so that you get something out of each lesson. Pete was not that guy that stood up on the stage and told you as a christian you should do this and shouldn't do that. Religion is not rules based to Pete. He is one of the ONLY pastors I've ever seen that talks about his own sins to his congregation. He talks to anyone and everyone about his personal struggles to be Christ-like and because of that, others have hope. That was what attracted me to Pete. He didn't pretend to be perfect. He is just like any of us. He has the same daily struggles and just because he is a pastor doesn't mean that his struggles are fewer in number or less hard.

I was VERY excited when I found out that Pete had written a book. I have been following Pete's blog ever since leaving Nashville (there's a link to his blog on mine under "Religious Readings"). I plan on buying the book today (it came out yesterday) and plan to start reading it either today or tomorrow. I can't wait to see what Pete has in store for me while I'm reading. To summarize what the book is about, see this video:

PlanB Promo from Cross Point Church on Vimeo.

Also, please keep Nashville in your prayers. The flooding is still an issue and the more pictures I see the more real it becomes to me. Bellevue was one of the subdivisions that was hit pretty hard and that was where I lived. I know Pete has been leading some teams out to do disaster relief so if you're in the area and want to help, contact Pete. The best way may be through his blog here. But even if you don't live in the area, prayers always work wonders :)

If you want to see one of my favorite sermons by Pete, go here. I did a blog about it because it was a kind of wake up call for me about prayer.

6 comments:

Laura Sue said...

thats awesome! i want to read it!

have you read crazy/love yet? i've been wanting to read it... i went to a conference last weekend and the speakers quoted something out of the book.. i decided that was my sign to buy it! lol

Allison said...

I wanna read it too! It sounds great!

Justin and Marcie said...

Laura - no i haven't read that but will put it on my list of books to read.

I hope both of you buy it. I can just tell by knowing Pete that it's gonna be good. P.S. If you try to buy it at the Barnes and Noble at Patton Creek, they're out. I had to order one so I have to wait a couple of days before I get it :( Boo!

A Bride In Boots said...

Umm, can I please forward this to Pete? Seriously, you said it perfectly, and I think it would be very cool for hiim to know what an impact he has had - even now that you're in B'ham!

Brenna Langham said...

The book looks awesome! I've been looking for a good Christian book to read, and this looks like it might be a great place for me to start. He seriously seems like someone who could keep my full attention and apply his message to myself, just like you said he does for you. Thanks for sharing!

Melis said...

Pete sounds a lot like my pastor here in WA! Let me know how the book is, it seems like something that would be good to read at this point in my life. :)

Archive