Thursday, August 2, 2012

My Soapbox

This is my blog.  I have the ability to write what I want.  If you don’t like what I’m writing, simply stop reading.  Don’t ask me to not write it.  This is my disclaimer before I get on soapbox…

So.  Yesterday was August 1, 2012.  Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day.  Did I support Chick-fil-A yesterday?  Yes, I absolutely did.  So did my husband and many of my friends and co-workers.  Are we bad people because we support a “hate” group?  No.  And in fact, Chick-fil-a is about as far from a hate group as you can get.  Lines of people were flowing out of the doors of the store on Highway 150, onto the parking lot and cars were flowing into the highway, causing TONS of traffic.  Media were covering numerous stores all over the country.  Such mass amounts of attention is being brought to this controversial issue. 

Now for my two “rants” on this issue:

First, I think attention is being brought to the WRONG issue.  The issue shouldn’t be about whether or not gay marriage should be allowed.  It’s about freedom of speech.  Dan Cathy was ASKED (he did NOT seek out a reporter to tell the world his views….he was asked) what his stance on gay marriage was and he answered, truthfully.  Due to this, hundreds of thousands of people are apparently “boycotting” the restaurant because they believe he should never have said that.  Seriously???  We’re getting mad because someone doesn’t agree with us? 

I personally agree with Dan Cathy’s stance on marriage.  I believe it should be between a man and a woman and regardless what some of the opposition to this issue are saying, there are NUMEROUS places in the Bible where God says that marriage is for a MAN and a WOMAN and that homosexuality (though never called that in the Bible) is an “abomination” and “a detestable thing”.  I know this because I started reading my Bible front to finish and am about to start the book of  Judges.  I’ve seen this statement several times.  I’ve seen some people say on Facebook that because these statements come from the Old Testament that they are null and void because Jesus changed everything.  Really?  Null and Void?  Does that mean the Ten Commandments are null and void because they’re from the Old Testament?  Pretty sure Jesus was upholding God’s laws.  Just saying.

But the point is, my opinion DOESN’T MATTER to anyone but me.  It’s my opinion.  I’m allowed to put it on this blog.  Does that mean that if you disagree with my opinion that you will boycott blogspot for allowing such blogging?  Surely not.  For the people boycotting the establishment: if you refuse to eat at the restaurant because the CEO disagrees with homosexuality, will you also boycott gas stations selling gasoline where the profits go to countries where homosexuality is punishable by death and/or imprisonment?  There are currently 5 countries that still punish homosexuality with the death penalty.  Two of them are Saudi Arabia and Sudan, two rather large profiteers from oil.  Will you also stop purchasing gasoline?  My guess is no.  So instead of trying to “punish” a government that takes it in their own hands to end a life because of homosexuality, by not buying gasoline, people are trying to “punish” a corporation where the head of that corporation simply stated that he believes marriage should be between a man and woman, by  not buying a friggin sandwich????  I’m baffled.

Secondly, I’ve seen people put up status’ saying that Christians aren’t being Christians because we should be loving everyone like Jesus did.  No one is saying that Dan Cathy doesn’t love everyone!!!  He isn’t judging homosexuals!  He has many of them working in his restaurants!  The man made one statement.  Answered one question.  What should he have done?  Said nothing?  Told the reporter that he had “no comment”?  To me, that kind of resembles what Peter did during the crucifixion when he stated three times that he didn’t know Jesus.  Should Dan Cathy have run from the question?  We, as Christians, are called to spread the Word of God.  He was doing his duty as a Christian. 

Now here’s the big one.  I’ve seen people make statements that Christians aren’t “loving everyone” because they went out to support Chick-fil-a yesterday and all that caused was an “us versus them” mentality and that instead of proving the opposing side wrong, we need to be loving and supporting.  I can’t speak for the hundreds of thousands that ate at chick-fil-a yesterday, but I can speak for myself.  I DID NOT eat at that restaurant yesterday to “stick it to the homosexuals”.  I ate at that restaurant yesterday because I believe in free speech and believe that Dan Cathy had a right to say what he did.  I ate there yesterday to support Dan Cathy at a time when he’s being slandered and bashed.  And as far as loving and supporting others, I have gay friends!!!  And I love them.  It is NOT my place to judge them, it’s God’s.  And trust me, I’ll leave that to him.  Only He knows the millions of things I’ve done and said in my lifetime that need to be judged.  I am so not even close to perfect, therefore, I have no right to pass judgment on anyone.  My eating at Chick-fil-a yesterday was not about disagreeing with the gay and lesbian lifestyle (even though I do).  It was about supporting Dan Cathy’s rights as an American Citizen. 

We live in a country where we can no longer say “under God” and can no longer pray at sporting events and can now, apparently, no longer state our biblical views.  What is this world coming to??  We are so concerned with not offending anyone that we’re letting our religion, our existence, our reason for living slip away.  Before you know it, we’re not even going to be allowed to have Church or mention God’s name because it offends someone.  Sound familiar?  It should…it’s called the Hitler and the Holocaust. 

I’m sorry for that huge rant.  But this is an issue I am VERY passionate about.  I love my God and His word deserves Praise and Glory.  I believe that Christians everywhere should be standing up for this issue.  The Dan Cathy controversy will come and go like a fad, but the true issue will always remain.  We MUST stand up for our beliefs, otherwise they will be taken from us.  I want my son to grow up being able to go to church and being able to say he believes in God and being able TO PRAY in public.  AND I WILL ABSOLUTELY FIGHT FOR HIS RIGHT TO DO THAT!!!!

15 comments:

Emily said...

Well said. I agree 110%

Jenny Strickland said...

Marcie this post is so well spoken!!!! I agree with you 100%! I just wish I could write it as good as you!

Its very sad what this world is coming to! Its actually very scary to think that one day we may not be able to say I am a Christian! I love God!

Thank you for posting this friend!

Anonymous said...

I TOTALLY agree! It's a matter of free speech, and I'll defend anyone's right to do that, no matter if I agree with them or not! We are current day founders of this country, if we don't fight for our freedoms, then our children lose.

Christina said...

It is definitely a matter of free speech. It's sad that there are people punishing others for having a differing opinion. You're right, what's next if we allow this to start?

Candace said...

PERFECTLY SAID.

Anonymous said...

"there are NUMEROUS places in the Bible where God says that marriage is for a MAN and a WOMAN and that homosexuality (though never called that in the Bible) is an “abomination” and “a detestable thing”.

"And as far as loving and supporting others, I have gay friends!!! And I love them."

You love your gay friends you just think they are detestable?

~Ashley Kimbrel~ said...

Def perfectly said! I also ate at chick-fil-a on my break at the mall. I agree with you 100% and want the same thing for kearstyn! It's already an issue now at her elementary school. She told me that she told her friends that she believes in God and prays all the time, only to have her friends(who of course are too young to know, so really their parents) that she is wrong. It is just sad!

Justin and Marcie said...

Anonymous - yes, I love my gay friends. Because, as a Christian, we are called to love everyone equally. Like I said in my post, it is not our place to judge the sins of others, only God's. I will not judge my friends, but I will love them, just like God loves me with all my sins. I do not think THEY are detestable, I think their life choice is detestable. Not to mention that "detestable" is not my choice of wording, it's God's. I'm just quoting.

"Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable". (Leviticus 18:22)

K. said...

The boycott began well before Dan Cathy's comments—it was begun in response to published reports revealing that Chick-Fil-A donates large amounts of money to organizations that work to infringe on the rights of gay people. Dan Cathy's interview simply confirmed what a lot of us already knew. He's certainly free to think whatever he likes and to express that opinion to any news outlet he chooses. That's what makes this not a free speech issue at all. The speech is free; it's been spoken. We all have that right—it's what gives you the right here to say a lot of things that I find "detestable." The unfortunate thing for Dan Cathy is that he's in the minority. Gallup polls have shown that the majority of Americans support gay marriage. So until that time comes, I will choose not to give my money to an establishment that supports groups who work to block opportunities for other Americans to have basic human rights. I doubt Dan Cathy will miss my $7; Chick-Fil-A had one of its biggest days yesterday. But all I have to do is look at my father and his partner, and see their commitment to each other and their love for each other, to be reminded that it's really not that good a sandwich.

Justin and Marcie said...

K - If you don't like where the profits of the organization are going, then you are certainly entitled to not eat there and to have your own opinion about it. I will say, however, that these donations that everyone keeps talking about happened in 2009 and 2010. I'm not saying there wasn't any 2011, I'm sure there was, I just didn't find any concrete numbers for 2011 and as far as the articles that keep popping up on the internet go-they're referring to donations in 2009 and 2010. But it's interesting to me that this uprising against Chick-fil-A didn't happen in 2009 or 2010 when such large donations were made, it happened AFTER Dan Cathy made his statement. So even though you may be boycotting because you don't agree with where the profits go, I think the majority are boycotting because they don't agree with Dan Cathy's statements on gay marriage. Otherwise, this would have been a huge newsworthy issue a long time ago. It seems to me that the comments I'm seeing from the people opposing Dan Cathy are NOT about the donations of a PRIVATELY OWNED company, they're about his stance on gay marriage. Again, if you don't like where your money goes when you eat at Chick-fil-A, by all means, don't eat there. That's your right as a citizen. However, a boycott to the extent of what what's being seen in the news and on the internet is absurd, especially given that it's no secret that the Chick-fil-A organization is a Christian based company and always has been. It should be no surprise to anyone that they make donations to organizations that support same-sex marriage and two parent families. Christian based private schools teach same sex marriage in the classroom. Does that mean you don't have to send your kids there since you don't agree? Sure, that is your right. Does that mean that they deserve to be "boycotted" and slandered in the media? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

K. said...

I don't know that "boycotted" deserves quotations here; it's not an alleged boycott, it's an actual one.

I think we ... agree? I don't understand. I already said that I don't like what Chick-Fil-A stands for and that, as a result, I don't eat there. You don't really have to tell me I'm allowed to do that. I don't need your permission.

The only "uprising" I've seen was yesterday, when the line at my local CFA stretched down the block and around the street. There was actual police presence.

Maybe the majority are boycotting because they don't agree with Dan Cathy's statements on gay marriage? OK. And? I don't see that as a negative. You can boycott anything, for any reason, any old time you want. I can boycott Walmart because they stopped capitalizing their "M."

NOT going to Chick-Fil-A doesn't do anyone any harm, as far as I can tell. As you and I have both said, it's a personal choice. It doesn't really make a bit of difference at all. The only thing that has LESS influence when it comes to how we legislate marriage?

Your religious beliefs.

Anonymous said...

"It should be no surprise to anyone that they make donations to organizations that support same-sex marriage and two parent families."

"Christian based private schools teach same sex marriage in the classroom."

Justin and Marcie said...

Wasn't trying to give you permission to not eat there, was just saying that it's your right not to eat there. I'm saying that I personally (again, just my opinion) don't think it's fair to boycott Chick-fil-A, a notorious Christian company, for having Christian beliefs and donating to other Christian organizations. If you're going to boycott Chick-fil-A because of how they spend their profits, you should also boycott the following:

Domino's Pizza
Wal-Mart
ExxonMobil
AutoZone
Dish Network
Cinemark
Cracker Barrell
Salvation Army

I also think it's important to note that this issue is different for everyone. To some people, it's a gay/straight issue, to others, it's a donations issue. To me, it's a free speech issue. Which is why I wrote the blog in the first place. Dan Cathy should have been able to make that statement without a boycott. But that's just my opinion.

K. said...

Free speech doesn't mean you get to say whatever in the world comes to your mind without repercussions.

It means you can say whatever in the world comes to your mind and no one can stop you. How you face the music is entirely up to you.

I do understand that this is your opinion. I think your opinion is terrible. That is MY opinion. We don't have to agree, but when it comes to the choices my family gets to make—about taxes and wills and hospital permissions—you also don't get to decide.

And I certainly will take your advice about Cracker Barrel. If there's one thing that absolutely ought to be outlawed, it's cooking vegetables past the point of recognition.

Meredith said...

Well put!!! I see exactly where you're coming from!!!

Archive