Tuesday, May 31, 2011

10 Weeks and First Ultrasound

How far along:  10 weeks

Symptoms:  I FEEL AMAZING!!!  I truly feel so much better than I have in the past 3 weeks.  I’m hoping this means the fatigue is starting to let up.  I read that the placenta is fully formed now so it will be making Won Ton’s hormones instead of me, which is why I was so exhausted in the first place.  I was finally able to exercise recently!!  Carina came up from Tuscaloosa two Sundays ago and we planned to run/walk at the Mountain Brook trail that I frequently run on.  It’s a 6 mile loop and usually when I run it I can do it in an hour and burn up to 700 calories.  I was told by my doc not to let my heart rate stay above 140-150 for long so I brought my heart rate monitor on our walk to see how far I could run without going over 150 for too long.  Come to find out….I can run ZERO.  Yep.  When Carina and I walked the trail, my heart rate floated anywhere from 135-145 by just walking.  Anyway, we planned to do the whole 6 miles when we were to a point that I thought was close to halfway, I asked Carina to turn around because I wasn’t feeling so hot, so we turned around and walked back the way we came instead of finishing the loop.  Come to find out though, we were slightly over halfway where we turned around, so we did a little more than 6 miles.  Anyway, on to my point.  After walking 6 miles and walking only, I burned 850 calories.  HOLY COW.  Apparently when you’re pregnant, your heart rate is already higher than usual because your pumping blood for you and for baby.  Higher heart rate = more calories burned.  Crazy.  So I probably won’t be able to do much running in the future, but with those numbers…I’m good with just walking :)  I also was able to do two P90X workouts so far.  And yes, my doc said that doing P90X was fine (he does it too) as long as I watched my HR and kept it below 150.  By the way, it’s impossible to do Kenpo and keep your HR below 150, FYI.

Maternity Clothes:  Not yet, but I swear that over the holiday weekend I gained a bump.  Very small and right under my belly button and, I’m sure, only noticeable by me.  I’ll probably start taking pictures next week.

Weight Gain:  Two pounds

Sleep:  Sleep is great these days!

Cravings/Aversions:  Nothing to take note of

Baby Size:  Prune!

prune - 10 weeks

Gender:  Doc said we’ll know around 18 weeks, depending on how my appointments fall, but if I’m supposed to be seen every 4 weeks, that means I’ll see my doc at 12 (that appointment is June 14th), 16 and 20.  Maybe if I’m lucky I’ll find out at 16 :)

What I Miss:  Not too much right now, especially since I’m finally working out again!

What I’m Looking Forward To:  Next appointment is my 12 week appointment and it’s on June 14th, the day before Carina and I take a little girl vacay to NYC.

Who Knows:  EVERYONE!!!  Once we had the ultrasound and heard the heart beat, I felt much more comfortable telling people.  After the ultrasound we called and texted lots of our friends to share the news.  I told my dad’s side of the family after Anderson’s final tee-ball game of the year.  After telling a few more people on Saturday, we finally put it on facebook on Sunday. 

So our ultrasound was Friday, May 20th.  I was so nervous.  I knew that the miscarriage rate decreased significantly once you heard the heartbeat so I was trying to hold it together and not run too many “what if” scenarios through my head.  Justin and I got called back and to my surprise they did the ultrasound from on top of my stomach, not the other way in which most first ultrasounds are done!!  I was pumped about that part.  I was praying so hard at that moment that she was searching on my stomach and looking at the screen.  Finally the tech said “well it looks like you only have one baby in there”.  Thank God for that!  Then she turned the screen towards me and showed me the baby.  Then she zoomed in super close and pointed to the heart that I could see was moving SO fast.  She turned on the volume and I heard the most precious sound ever.  I cried.  Heart beat was 185 bpm.  She said everything looked great so far.  I’m so thankful for that!  Here’s Won Ton’s first pictures:

8 weeks 3 days3 8 weeks 3 days 8 weeks 3 days1 8 weeks 3 days2

They say 9w1d which means 9 weeks 1 day, which is what they thought I was at the time, but we got downgraded to only 8 weeks 3 days after she measured the baby.  I can’t wait to hear the heart again.  I only got to hear it for about 3 seconds and I really want to hear it for longer next time. 

I made a blog this weekend about the gender poll.  I added one to my blog so feel free to vote away, just leave me a comment and tell me what you voted for because I love seeing who voted for what and why they think it’s a boy or it’s a girl.

Now it’s lecture time.  This won’t apply to most of you, but it’s just a helpful tip when you’re friends with someone who is pregnant.  We, the pregnant people of the world, get offended pretty easily.  Please be aware of that.  Especially when it comes to the baby.  The place I have found I’ve gotten offended most is when it comes to the sex of the baby.  A long time ago, before we were pregnant, Justin and I always joked with our friends that we only wanted boys because we couldn’t handle the “princess diva” attitude that tends to come with girls.  This was before we were pregnant though.  When you become pregnant, you all of a sudden don’t care about gender anymore, you just want a healthy baby.  I never understood those people that said “oh we don’t care what it is as long as it’s healthy”, but I do now.  I would love a boy, but I would also love a girl.  I could teach my little girl to dance.  I could see her wearing tutu’s and helping her practice for her dance recitals.  Not to mention that we have a girl nursery planned as well as have a girl name, but we don’t have either of these things for a boy.  As much as I would love a boy, I would love a girl too. 

Now to the tip of the day part.  You would be shocked at how many people have said this to me.  Even if I were to say “I kind of want a boy”, for the love of God, don’t say “well since you want a boy so bad, I want you to have a girl”.  Seriously people!?!?!  This is rude and completely unnecessary.  Basically you’re saying that you hope I don’t get what I want.  Why would anyone do this???  It is TOTALLY different if you say “I think you’re having a girl”.  Many people have said that based on the heart rate and that is completely and totally fine.  It’s when you assume that I want one sex so you hope I get the other one.  I don’t understand people at all.  So tip of the day, don’t tell a pregnant woman you hope she gets the opposite sex of what she wants, because you might just never hear from her again.

That being said, I think I can reveal what I think the gender is.  Justin and I differ on our opinions of this.  Justin thinks won ton is a girl.  I think it’s a boy.  I have NO IDEA why, I just do.  I keep saying “him” and “he” unintentionally.  It just slips out.  When I saw the ultrasound and saw the pictures of won ton, I kept seeing boy.  However, I will not be disappointed if I have a girl.  Like I said above, there are so many advantages that comes with having a girl!  I’m even warming up to hair bows.  Seriously, I used to hate hair bows.  Especially the ones that are half the size of the baby’s head.  I thought it looked horrible and unnatural for them to be that big.  But I’m starting to like them now.  There are a lot of advantages to having a girl.  But for some reason, I still think it’s a boy.

I’m a little shocked by the outcome of the gender poll so far.  As of now, boy is leading 8 to 5.  This is the opposite of what I have heard people say.  Everyone I’ve talked to seems to think it’s a girl and barely anyone thinks it’s a boy.  I think this is because of the heart rate.  But please don’t be afraid to vote girl because of my little rant above.  Like I said, it’s not people that say “I think you’re having a girl” that pisses me off.  It’s the people that say “I know you want a boy, so I hope you have a girl”.  Huge difference, I promise.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am voting boy.. I have 2 boys and felt great during both pregnancies.. my only symptoms were being way over tired and if I did not eat small meals regularly I would feel dizzy. Hope your pregnancy continues to go well! congrats again!!

Allison said...

SO I feel that your rant pertains to me just a little bit. I know I said that I think it's a girl, just because you used to say you only wanted boys. It's not that I want you to have what you don't want at all. I promise! I just wanted to say that I'm sorry if that upset you. I really want you to have a healthy baby, because either gender will be perfect for you. God knows best and I know you know that!
I hope you continue to feel great. I remember when we first heard BR's heart rate, I cried too! It's such a special moment!!

Lindsey Scott said...

Marcie-I totally felt the same way you did about the gender. I had a gut feeling it was a boy but since EVERYONE said it was a girl I doubted my true feelings and he was in fact a boy! It is made into much a biggger deal then it really is. Just wait though, this is preparing you for all of the "free advice" coming your way. Just wait until the breastdfeeding issues. I was made to feel like a failure after I tried literally everything. Just do what works best for you and your family.

P.S. Sawyer's HB was 188 around the same time and I was never sick.

Brittany said...

I voted boy only because I felt horrible my first trimester and I had a girl. But I totally thought boy the entire time because everyone kept saying they just knew we were having a boy.

I'm so excited for y'all!

Archive