Tuesday, February 14, 2012

#76 - Check

Number 76 on my list of 101 things to do in 1,001 days was to get Carter’s first round of immunizations.  We  did this today at his 7 week checkup.  Yes, I’m the awful mother that scheduled so many shots to occur on Valentine’s Day.  It was the only appointment they had this week!  Justin came with me because I didn’t know if I’d be able to handle it, seeing him scream and cry.  He got 4 shots, two in each leg, and one oral vaccination.  At 7 weeks, Carter weighs 10lbs 14oz and is 22 1/2 inches long.  He’s in the 75th percentile for weight and the 70th percentile for height.  Doc was impressed by this since he’s a breastfed baby.  His next appointment won’t be until he’s 4 months old.  The doc did however hear a slight heart murmur.  He said he wasn’t worried about it it, but that as a precaution, he wanted us to see a cardiologist to get an ultrasound to make sure it wasn’t anything major.  Please pray that this murmur is the kind that will heal itself over time!! 

IMGP6370

The nurse was measuring his height here

IMGP6373IMGP6374

He did good on the oral vaccination.  The nurse said most babies just spit it right back out, but Carter actually swallowed it like he was supposed to!

IMGP6375

First shot.  His face is still relatively calm here, but only for this brief second.

IMGP6376

Then he turned beet red and literally held his breath the length of the four shots.  Even the nurse told him to breathe!

IMGP6377

Daddy did a great job of calming him down the best he could.  Carter has cried plenty of times in his seven weeks of life, but this is literally the first time I actually saw tears rolling down his face!  It made me so sad.  But I held it together and Carter was totally fine as soon as we got him back in the carseat.  He was out the second he got back in my car.  I nursed him when we got home and put him straight down for a nap, skipping waketime.  I’m okay with that because he went through a lot today and even skipped his morning nap because we were at the doc.  He’s sleeping soundly right now.  Sweet sweet baby boy of mine!

2 comments:

Jenny Strickland said...

Bless his heart! When I worked at the Peds office I hated hearing the babies cry when they got shots! Made me want to cry!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Unknown said...

Poor little boy! I'll keep him in my prayers. Glad you made it through the shots!

Archive