Monday, July 18, 2011

My Big Fat Belly - 16 Weeks

How far along: 16 weeks, 6 days

Symptoms: I’m a pretty happy girl these days :)  No major symptoms other than the increasing large fatness I see when I look down.

Maternity Clothes: I think I will definitely make it to week 18 but probably not after that.  I had to buy a maternity dress for my high school reunion this weekend, not really because I had to, but more because I wanted to.  I have a lot of pretty dresses that are flowy and fit right now, but I wanted something new for the reunion so I just went ahead and got one from A Pea in a Pod.  Most overpriced store I’ve ever seen by the way.

Weight Gain: Up to 7 1/2 pounds.  Doc said my weight gain was great (we had our 16 week appointment Friday, July 15th), so that made me feel good.  I’m so nervous that I’m gaining too much too fast but she says I’m doing it very gradually and exactly how I should be.  And if you think about it, I’m only a few weeks away from being halfway through the pregnancy and have still gained less than 10 pounds when I’m supposed to gain 25-30.  I hear most of the weight comes on during the 2nd trimester because during the 1st, the baby just isn’t big enough to gain weight and by the 3rd trimester, you’re all baby and there’s not enough room to eat large meals and you get full much quicker.  Hopefully this is the case!

Sleep: I’m estimating that by week 20 I’ll have to buy the maternity sleeping pillow thingy (not real sure what it’s called).  It’s so comfortable to have pillows when I have to sleep on my side and by the time the tummy gets bigger, I’m fairly certain it will be more of a necessity than something I just consider comfortable.

Cravings/Aversions:  I have noticed something this week.  I wouldn’t consider it an “aversion” but it’s very unlike me.  Pre-pregnancy, I LOVED ice cream.  LOVED LOVED LOVED.  However, now, I don’t want it all the time.  I still have it every now and again so that’s why I don’t consider it an “aversion”, but it is seriously very strange that I never really want ice cream anymore.

Baby Size: At the beginning of week 16, Won Ton was the size of an avocado.  Limbs keep growing and now the neck is strong enough for the head to be upright instead of having his/her chin tucked into their chest.  This week starts when some moms begin feeling movements.  In my mind, there are two different types of movement.  One is the undeniable kicks to the side that you never think is anything other than your child kicking you or giving you a massive high five.  The other is little “flutters” that you get when the baby moves from side to side but isn’t really kicking.  I feel the flutters.  And they’re rare.  It usually happens at night when I’m laying in bed and can feel it better because I’m sitting still.  From what I understand, right now the baby’s legs and arms aren’t long enough to touch the outside of the uterine wall and that’s why I can’t feel undeniable kicks yet.  Over the next few weeks as the baby’s legs and arms get longer, I will start to feel them.  Most moms (according to baby websites) feel movement anywhere from 16-21 weeks. 

16 Weeks-Avocado

Gender: Less than two weeks people!!!  Our appointment is Friday, July 29th and our gender reveal party is July 31st.  CANNOT WAIT!

What I’m Looking Forward To: Ummm…see above.

Bump Pic for the Week:

16 Weeks

Not my favorite pic at all, but it’ll do.  This was taken at 16 weeks, 5 days.  As much as I love the flowy dresses and shirts, some of them (like the one above) actually make me look bigger than I am and it kind of bugs me.  That’s why when I’m 18 weeks, I’ll probably go on a cute maternity clothes shopping spree :) 

0 comments:

Archive