Sunday, May 13, 2012

My First Mother’s Day

Today was my very first Mother’s Day.  It was pretty special.  I must say though, I was still focused on me and Justin’s Mothers and it didn’t really hit me that I was someone’s mother.  Carter (aka Justin) got me a new running GPS watch as a gift along with a really sweet card :)  I had to wake Carter up at 8am (seriously these days he sleeps at least 12 hours every night and I can’t remember the last time I didn’t have to wake him up in the morning) and feed him.  He was only awake for right at an hour before we put him down for nap number 1.  His first nap is usually 2-2 1/2 hours, but we had to cut it short because we had to get to church.  We woke him up a little before 10:30am and changed his clothes and put him straight in the car and drove to church.  We went into the contemporary service and fed him.  As soon as he was done eating, I took him to the nursery (a first and one of the things on my 101 list that I blogged about here).

After a very short church service, I picked Carter up from the fabulous women that work in the nursery.  There were 6 kids in there, 3 of which were our family members (Carter and the twins). 

IMGP6881

He was so happy!

IMGP6882

We love being lifted up these days.  Of course I don’t do this immediately after he’s eaten.  I learned that lesson when Anderson was young ;)

IMGP6883

After leaving church we went back to Debbie and Gordon’s house to have lunch.  Carter went down for a nap immediately (he had been awake for 2 hours at that point which is about 15 minutes later than he’s capable of going without a nap).  So the whole time we were at Justin’s parents house, Carter was napping.  The twins don’t nap as much as Carter since they’re older, so they were awake the whole time and enjoying a new toy that Nana purchased recently:

IMGP6891

IMGP6893

Both girls are already standing up with some assistance and are trying so hard to learn how to walk!

IMGP6908

Celia loves to play with Uncle Justin’s hair and eyeballs!

IMGP6909

Love my hubby so much!

Debbie actually got both me and Jen a small gift from Lifeway.  It’s a nightlight with our last initial on it with the verse “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord”.  Love it!!  Perfect for Carter’s room!

It was a great day spent with great family.  I thought I would experience this huge wave of emotions being my first Mother’s Day but I really didn’t.  I absolutely love being Carter’s mom, but I experience that every single day that I breathe, not just today.  My role as a mother changed who I am, but I’m sure that’s normal for most mothers.  I feel like the person I was before was just preparation for my role as a mother.  I don’t remember what it was like to not have so much love for someone so small and helpless.  Yes, there are bad days.  Days where Carter makes me want to pull my hair out.  Days where I wonder whether or not I want a second child.  Days where I miss it being just me and Justin.  But no matter how bad a day gets, it never fails that the second my head hits the pillow at night, I thank God for that precious baby boy.  He is my world.  I just ordered a canvas that I’m obsessed with, but I don’t have a picture.  I’ll have to take one once I hang it.  But it sums up my relationship with Carter pretty easily:

You’ll be…

his first kiss

his first love

his first friend.

You are his momma and he is your whole world.

He is your little boy.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers out there.  It’s the most important job in the world!

1 comments:

Jenny Strickland said...

Yay! Glad to see you had a good first mother's day!

Carter is growing so fast! He is precious!

Archive