Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Big Fat Belly - 22 Weeks

How far along: 22 Weeks, 1 Day

Symptoms: Allow me to count them out for you:

  • My back is killing me.  I bought a full length maternity pillow that helps,  but doesn’t cure it.  I still wake up with pain in my mid-upper back, which is unusual because most back pain in pregnancy comes from the lower back from the weight of the belly.  So I honestly have no idea what’s wrong with me.  In an attempt to mitigate, I bought that maternity pillow along with a back pillow for my desk chair at work.  I’ve started using a heating pad frequently as well as taking hot baths. 
  • I’m out of breath all the time.  I went online to figure this out and found that around 20 weeks, the uterus has gotten so big that it literally rearranged my organs, and it’s very common that the baby lays on the lungs, causing mom to feel out of breath all the time.  That explains it then.  I literally wake up in the middle of the night out of breath and stay that way most of the day.  It’s miserable.
  • I’m getting very lightheaded these days.  If I stand up too quickly or just turn too quickly to one side, I will get this feeling.  I’m not sure what this means.  I’ve read that it’s common, I just don’t know what I can do to help it.  I could be getting anemic, but my doc put me on iron pills almost two months ago because my iron was already dropping (iron deficiencies run in my family when it comes to pregnancy) but at  my 18 week appointment she said it actually went up some.  So confused.
  • I can’t bend over anymore without feeling like I’m 105 years old and it takes much longer than it should to get in and out of my car.
  • Overall unhappiness.   Please don’t take this the wrong way.  I am VERY excited about having a sweet little baby soon, but between all the items listed above topped by the fact that every time I look in the mirror I see that I have grown to the equivalent of an average size refrigerator, it’s upsetting.  I don’t see how some women LOVE being pregnant.  I’m not a fan.  But I do count my blessings.  I know lots of women would go through all this and never have a frown on their face about it because they want to be pregnant that badly and for whatever reason, can’t be.  I am blessed and trust me, I thank God for Carter everyday.

Maternity Clothes: They’re my best friend.  I have decided that as far as pants go, the half panel sucks.  I want full panel.  The only pair of maternity pants I have for work are all half panel and that stupid elastic band going through the middle of my belly is annoying.  Next time I have to buy full panel.  However I am still able to wear some pre-maternity work pants with the belly band still, they’re just not my first choice because they’re not as comfy.  Also, the belly button is on its way out.  I’m the only one that I would assume could tell a difference right now but there’s definitely a difference.  Babycenter says this week is when some women’s belly button start to pop out.  I’m giving mine another 2-3 weeks before that happens, but it’s definitely on the way.

Weight Gain: At 20 weeks I was up to 11 pounds.  At 21 weeks I gained almost a pound, but then lost it that same week.  I was a little shocked by that.  I’ve been told by almost all pregnant people I know that the 2nd trimester is where the weight packs on big-time because it’s the baby’s biggest growth spurt period.  I thought I was doing great because between week 14 and week 21, I was averaging at a little less than a pound a week (doc told me to gain a pound a week).  Then came week 22.  I literally gained a pound and a half this week.  I have no idea how that happened.  It’s not the eating….on average, a pregnant women should take in the normal calorie intake (2,000 a day) plus a small amount for the baby (150-200).  Not even kidding, I’ve been lucky to get 1,900 a day.  For real.  I feel like my stomach is so big that even when I eat a relatively small meal, I’m full because there’s just not much room anymore (and yes, I know I have a ways to go and my stomach is only going to get bigger).  So how on earth did I gain a pound and a half when I can barely eat 2,000 calories?!?!?  So confused.  At 22 weeks, I’m up to 12 1/2 pounds.  Luckily, numerous people have told me that it’s all belly and that I haven’t gained weight anywhere else.  I hope they’re right and not just being nice…

Baby Size: At the beginning of week 22, Carter is the size of a papaya!  Even though the picture says 12.7-20.8 oz. for weight, Carter is most likely towards the higher end of that range if he’s still measuring big like he was at my 18 week appointment.

22 weeks

Movement:  ALL THE TIME.  I finally was able to feel Carter’s kicks towards the beginning of week 21.  My doc told me that since my placenta was in the front, it would be a while before I was able to feel him kick.  Most women can feel kicks anywhere between 16-18 weeks.  I was unfortunate to not be able to feel it until much later than that, but I am loving it now.  I’m still trying to figure out a pattern though.  At first, he usually was most active between 8-9am and then again right before I go to bed, but just when I thought that was the pattern, he threw me off and stopped doing it then and started doing it mid-day.  The downside of feeling kicks is that you get worried when you don’t feel them.  I have to remind myself that he sleeps about 17-20 hours a day and I won’t feel him most of the day and that it’s completely normal.  Still hard to take in though.

What I’m Looking Forward To: My 22 week doctor appointment is on Friday (I like to make my appointments at the end of the week that it’s for instead of the beginning) and I plan to ask about all of my symptoms to see if there’s any relief that I haven’t thought of yet.  We’re also moving into our house this weekend.  No worries, I won’t be doing any lifting at all.  A lot of our friends are coming by at different times throughout the weekend to help so I pretty  much will just be unpacking some boxes and moving clothes and other light things.  I’m really looking forward to doing his nursery now that we’re moving in and he has a room!!  Nursery updates to come soon!

Bump Pic for the Week:

 21 Weeks 5 days

See?!?!?  Average size refrigerator….

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You don't look anything like a refrigerator!! How cute is your bump!!!

Jenny Strickland said...

You look NOTHING like a refrigerator! You look GREAT! Promise!

Hope you have a great week friend!

Let me know when you register cause I would love to send baby Carter something! =)

The Langham's said...

You look great!

Justin and Marcie said...

Jenny - you're too sweet!! I was going to blog about that soon...I have already registered. It took forever and was a rather horrendous prrocess. But needless to say, Carter is registered at BuyBuyBaby and Babies 'R Us.

Brenna Langham said...

You look wonderful! Nothing like a refrigerator at all! I'm actually quite jealous of you because I know when I'm in your place one day that I will pack on the pounds. That's not going to be easy for a person that's been pretty skinny her whole life. So excited about seeing the nursery!

Unknown said...

I just have to say that I have loved your blog updates the past few months because I'm about three weeks behind you (due Jan 21) and I like reading about what's to come. I totally feel ya on ALL your symptoms! As far as the back pain goes, I go to an amazing chiropractor (Dr. Ellen Witt) if you're interested in that sort of thing. I haven't had to visit her during my pregnancy, but I have a feeling I'll be giving her a call soon! Good luck with the move and welcome to James Hill!

Archive