Wednesday, September 16, 2009

#32 Check!

Number 32 on my list of 101 things to do in 1,001 days was to read a fiction book. I have actually read several of these. I was going to use the Twilight book series to complete this goal, but I wanted it to be something else other than Twilight. About four years ago, I started reading the book Angles & Demons by Dan Brown. You may be familiar with him because he wrote two books that have become two huge motion pictures, The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, both of which revolve around the same character, Robert Langdon. I was very reluctant to read the Da Vinci Code because when it came out there was a HUGE christian outburst about it. I eventually put my feelings aside about the issue and reminded myself that Dan Brown's work is PURELY fiction and started reading Angels & Demons.


angels and demons 2


Time was scarce for me back in college since I was going to school full time, working almost every night at a restaurant and was on Alabama's Crimson Cabaret dance team. Needless to say, I never finished the book. When I saw the movie was coming out I decided that I wanted to read the book before seeing it in theaters. I found time to start the book all over again and I definitely got hooked. It was incredibly hard to put down. I had to take some time off from reading it as we got closer to the wedding because again my time was scarce, which also meant that I didn't get to see the movie when it was in theaters, however, I have finally finished reading it!

I also found out yesterday, by way of both of my book reading sisters, that Dan Brown has come out with ANOTHER fabulous book called Lost Symbol. Here's what it's about:

"As the story opens, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned unexpectedly to deliver an evening lecture in the U.S. Capitol Building. Within minutes of his arrival, however, the night takes a bizarre turn. A disturbing object -- artfully encoded with five symbols -- is discovered in the Capitol Building. Langdon recognizes the object as an ancient invitation . . . one meant to usher its recipient into a long-lost world of esoteric wisdom.

When Langdon's beloved mentor, Peter Solomon -- a prominent Mason and philanthropist -- is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and never-before-seen locations -- all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth."

I do so LOVE a good thriller :) I can't wait to go buy it and start reading it (much to Justin's dismay. He's not a fan of my reading hobby AT ALL.)

Photobucket


The fact that this book is revolved around historic Mason ideas and facts really interests me. I got hooked onto that part of US history while watching the National Treasure movies. Feel free to read with me!

2 comments:

The Langham's said...

Marcie,

I saw that this book was coming out last night. I am so excited. I like the Mason's and their secretiveness too. Judd and I just moved back from Philly where the Pennsylvania Masonic Temple is located. It is an amazingly beautiful and mysterious building. If you ever visit Philadelphia you and Justin need to tour it. Almost all of our founding fathers were members of that temple when Philly was the nation's capital. It is so neat. I just thought I would share. Happy Reading!

Candice Reed Robbins said...

Oh I LOVED the Davinci Code and read Angels & Demons immediately after I finished the Davinci Code. I thought Angels and Demons was even better!!! So when I got an email from Barnes & Noble in July about Dan Brown's latest book, I will now admit - I for the first time in my life did a pre-order. It came last week in the mail and I have it on my nightside. I'm saving it to read after I finish Comps - so it reminds me to study, study study!

Archive