Friday, October 24, 2008

What is your dream job?

One of the things I miss the most about Nashville is my old church Crosspoint Community Church and my old pastor Pete. Pete does a different series every month or so about a different topic. He has done some amazing topics while I was at the church and the topic he is starting right now is called "Dream Job". Here's the promo video for it:



Dream Job Promo from Matthew Singleton on Vimeo

This is such an awesome series and I wish I could be there to experience it. This kind of hits home for me because I truly think I have finally found my "dream job". I know accounting doesn't sound like a dream job for anyone, but the numbers is not the "dream" part that I was referring to. One thing I struggled with at my old firm was that there was only one person that I could relate to about my religious views. Don't get me wrong, I love all of the people I was close with at work in Nashville, but there was only one that was open about religion that I could relate my life and beliefs to. At my current firm, every time you turn the corner there are offices with crosses, religious quotes on a frame, or even Bibles. This firm has a "family first" policy and they actually enforce it!!! Not many CPA firms are like that and I am so happy to be a part of one. One of my favorite things in life is small group bible studies. I haven't been in one in a while and I miss it so much. But work makes it easier. Just being around Christians all day brightens my spirits and it makes a huge difference in my lifestyle. I am so happy to actually have my dream job!!

One of my favorite quotes in the Bible is Colossians 3:23-25: "Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ. But if you do what is wrong, you will be paid back for the wrong you have done. For God has no favorites." Don't do your work for your boss, or for your bosses boss, or for your personal advancement. Work for the Lord! Everything we do has to be for Him!

On a separate note, I went to my friend Devin's house last night to watch the Auburn game. All of our friends were there: Devin and his new fiance Ashley, Trevor and Tiffany, and Allison. Chase had to work so he wasn't there and Justin was still in Colorado so he wasn't able to make it either. We had such a blast and I finally got to hear the story of how Devin and Ashley met because I've actually never heard it before. Devin and Ashley call each other soulmates and now I know why. I don't know if I've ever seen two people so in love with each other as they are. I am so incredibly happy for them and know that they will have a wonderful life together.

We also got to reminiscing about the good ole days back when I hung out with Devin and "Da Boyz" in high school. Devin reminded me of some times I had with Ryan Burkel that I had completely forgotten. You may not know Ryan, but he went to high school with us and was Devin's best friend. Ryan graduated from Hoover in 2000, but went home to the Lord soon after. Devin reminded me of a time (probably 8 or 9 months before Ryan died) that Ryan was teaching me how to drive a stick shift. Devin said that Ryan and I drove up to his house and Devin was outside taking the dog out. He saw Ryan's car pull up and was expecting Ryan to get out of the front seat, but I did instead. He was kind of shocked! I had totally forgotten about that until Devin reminded me. That's definitely something I love about hanging out with these guys again. I now remember so much from being with them 24/7 back in high school after hanging out with them all again. It's pretty funny how God plans things :)

Justin and I are still a little shocked that we're together. I seriously would NEVER have thought that Justin and I would have ended up together. Don't get me wrong, I had so much fun with Justin in high school, but he wasn't really serious about anything or anyone back then. However, most boys are like that when they're only 16 years old. Right when Justin and I started talking again it was so wierd because he was nothing like the old Justin that I remembered. I was even reluctant to date him because I thought that he was just "having a crush" and it would go away. But he kept trying and trying and did literally everything he could to convince me that he was different so I caved :) And I'm so glad I did!!! He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I am absolutely not just saying that because I am dating him nor am I overexaggerating. I have never loved anyone in my life like I love him and I have never in my life felt more loved by anyone than I do by him. I 100% believe that we were destined to be together from the beginning. Justin says that he's glad we didn't date in high school because we would probably not be together now if we did. It just goes to show you that everything happens in God's time. He knows what is best for you and when the best time is for something incredibly life changing to happen to you. We weren't suppose to be together in high school. I think we both had to go through certain events and relationships in our lives to shape the people we are today so that we could love and appreciate eachother the way we do today. What's meant to be will always find a way!

0 comments:

Archive