Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Fast

So our Sunday School class is reading a book and doing a video series on the 7 Experiment.  This goes through seven areas of our lives where we are very materialistic and makes us “fast” those things.  They are:  Food, Clothing, Waste, Possessions, Shopping, Media and Stress.  The book is meant for 7 months, so one thing to fast each month.  But because of how our class is organized, we chose to do it for 7 weeks instead of 7 months.  So which one is up first?

FOOD.

How come we couldn’t start with something easier, like social media or clothing?  Ugh.  I dread fasting food.  But regardless, the purpose of the fast is to rely solely on God and prayer to get your through the fast period.  Starting Sunday, we will begin our fast.  There are tons of different options to fast food.  Some people eat out a ton, so for them, a good fast would be to not eat out for the week.  Some people just love all kinds of food and eat a variety of things every day.  For those people, the idea of eating the same breakfast, lunch and dinner every day is certainly challenging.  For me though, I had to think hard.  I don’t eat out much.  I already pretty much eat the same meal for breakfast lunch and dinner, so what could I do that would be difficult enough where I would have to pray my way through it?

I looked online at several different options and came across the Daniel fast.  You can read what you want on this fast, but I am only doing a version of it.  The Daniel fast, simply put, is fruit, veggies, water and whole grains.  I’m going a step further and doing just fruit, veggies and water and one grain, brown rice.  To make it more fun painful, I narrowed it down to only 7 fruits and 7 vegetables.  So starting on Sunday, January 27th, through Saturday, February 2nd, I can only eat the following things:

Fruits:

Strawberries, Grapes, Bananas, Blueberries, Apples, Oranges, Pineapples

Vegetables:

Lettuce, Asparagus, Lima Beans, Corn, Green Peas, Broccoli, Carrots…..and Brown Rice

So we’ll see how this goes, but I am very hopeful! It will be a great detox if nothing else.  Also, I usually drink about a liter of water a day, and with this fast, I plan to force myself to drink 2 liters of water a day.  Prayers appreciated :)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck, lady! I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Wishing you lots of luck. I am sure you will do just fine. I know it will be tough but you can do it :)

Anna Catherine said...

How neat! Will be praying. What a great challenge!

Archive