Sunday, February 20, 2011

I'm Slacking Again

I know it's been a while since I've blogged. It comes with the territory of busy season. I've worked 60 hour weeks the last three weeks so I haven't had much time to do much blogging. I do have a couple of updates to discuss now though! Most of my friends already know this, but I never blogged about it. My sister, Jennifer, is pregnant. She came home on Thanksgiving (she wasn't supposed to be in town) to surprise us with the news that she and her husband Jeff were having a baby. Her due date is July 20th and not too long ago, she found out she's having a boy. I'm so excited for the Cowley's! My sister has always had that motherly instinct and she's going to be a great mom.

Photobucket

Isn't she adorable?

On February 4th, Justin and I went to eat dinner at Olive Garden with his parents and his sister and brother-in-law. It was his sister, Jennifer's (I know, confusing because my sister has the same name and all of us danced together at the same high school), birthday. After eating dinner, we all headed back to his parents house to eat cake (as we usually do for someones birthday). However, this time Jennifer got her own cake for the party....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yep, Jennifer and her husband Aeron are ALSO expecting a baby. She was 8 weeks when she told us this. Her first appointment was the next week, and when she had that appointment, she found out that her due date is September 20....FOR TWINS. Yep, she's having twins. Which means that I went from having one niece and one nephew to soon having 5 nieces and nephews. Upon hearing the news, Justin said two things. 1) "Christmas just got way more expensive" and 2) "That's a crap ton of diapers". I am so excited for both of my sisters and can't wait to have more little ones running around!

On another note, remember when I wrote this post about starting a new prayer journey? Well, let me recap so you don't have to read the whole post. I started reading a book called Confessions of a Prayer Slacker by Diane Moody and in the book, she says we should all take a few minutes to talk to God at the beginning of the day and one of her suggestions was to read Bible scripture in connection with prayer. So after reading the book, I was inspired to start reading one of the Psalms everyday. I started this journey back in August and on Friday, I finally finished all 150 Psalms. If you've never read the Psalms all the way through, you should. I've definitely got my favorites which include this one and this one. I will say, some of them are rather repetitive, but there are reasons for it and most Bibles explain that.

So what am I going to do now that I'm done with the Psalms? Well, I really enjoy reading a part of the Bible and having my time with God everyday, it is quite literally the best part of my day. So I decided about halfway through reading the Psalms that once I was finished, I would either go back and read the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) or continue to Proverbs. Recently, I decided to read Proverbs next. I took a New Testament class back in college, in which we read most of the gospels, but I've never read any of Proverbs (outside of the occasional scripture quote at church). I did some reading up on Proverbs and am so excited about it. David wrote the vast majority of the Psalms, which center around praising God and praying to God. Proverbs were mainly written by David's son Solomon and they're all about wisdom. Solomon spends a lot of time instilling wisdom onto young people, which is a great example for parents who are raising children. But it's not just about that age group, any age group can benefit from lessons on wisdom. I read the first chapter yesterday and look forward to reading the rest. Proverbs is much shorter than Psalms, only 31 chapters, so it won't take me as long to read it. I wonder what I'll read after Proverbs...

2 comments:

A Bride In Boots said...

Oh my dear Lord - I now have the most gigantic craving for cookie cake ever. Thanks for that, friend. :)

Allison said...

I know your Sister-in-law Jennifer!!! I dance at Dance Trance and I met her there! Such a small world!

Archive