Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend Didn't Go As Planned...

I think most of my friends (in real life friends and internet friends) know by now how my weekend went due to facebook, but I figured I could document it here as well. I went to run the Race For the Cure on Saturday but unfortunately didn't finish because I fell and ended up breaking my left ankle and and right elbow. I ran it with my friend Carina, but I was a little ahead of her in the race so she never saw me fall nor did she even see me on the side of the road with the paramedics. Justin didn't run the race, but drove me and Carina up there. He came to a spot a little after the one mile marker and saw me running and snapped this picture...

Photobucket

I never saw him take that picture. The fall came right after that though, at 1.65 miles into the race. I tripped over a pinecone that was in the road and rolled my ankle and fell to the ground. I caught myself with my right elbow...hence why it is also broken. There just so happen to be paramedics right where I fell so that was a relief. As soon as I got up, a crowd of onlookers were all helping me get out of the way of the other runners and set me on the curb. When the paramedics came over I said I was fine and to just give me a minute and I would get back up and finish the race. The paramedic looking at my foot was like "no you're getting in this ambulance and we're taking you to the hospital because this may be broken".

I refused the ambulance and said I would call my husband to get me because he was at the finish line so I used the phone the paramedic had to call Justin. I told him to wait until Carina finished to come get me and then hung up. That was when I finally saw my ankle...which looked like this:

Photobucket

I was in shock at how big it got in just a few short minutes. I could feel pain in my elbow but it was totally overcome by the pain in my ankle. I honestly didn't think much was wrong with my elbow other than being banged up. Justin and Carina finally showed up and took me to the ER at UAB where they put me in two splint-casts and told me I needed an ortho appointment. Justin took this picture while we were at the hospital:

Photobucket

I can no longer run the half-marathon that I've been training for which is DEVASTATING me. I was so excited about that race and I've worked so hard! The 5K would have been a record breaking 5K for me. According to the GPS watch, I did my first mile in 9:01 and my pace during mile 2 was 8:30. I could have done that race in 28 minutes!!!

Anyway, I just left the ortho doctor and finally got those splints off!! They were so itchy! I am now in a boot for 4-6 weeks. Unfortunately they don't know anything yet about my arm. They're making me get an MRI probably tomorrow. I'll update when I know more, but for now I'm ok, just very sleepy.

8 comments:

Brenna Langham said...

I'm glad you're okay. Even though I don't know you personally, I felt so awful about it, and I have wondered how you were doing several times since then.

Sam said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry. That's horrible; stupid pinecone! I'm glad you're doing better now and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Christina said...

How awful! I hope your body heals soon!

Melissa said...

Oh, no! I hope you feel better soon! Be sure and follow all the docs orders!

Unknown said...

Stupid pinecone...

I wish I could cook you dinner or something.

Jenny Strickland said...

I am so happy you are ok! I know you are upset about not running the half-marathon! You will be ok! Get plenty of rest and keep us updated! You will be in my prayers!

Samantha said...

Ugh! My heart sank for you when I saw your Facebook status and profile pic. I know how important your running events are to you. I just showed what an idiot I am by calling them "running events". Will this affect your Africa trip? I hope not.

If it's any consolation, you look super cute in your running outfit!

Laura Sue said...

geez! i'm so sorry!!! i saw the pictures on fbook from my phone the day it happened but i'm just now getting on a computer to read this! i know you were so excited about both of those races! but i'm glad you're doing okay!

Archive