Tuesday, June 19, 2012

#44 - Check!

Number 44 on my list of 101 things to do in 1,001 days was to start Carter on solid foods.  I was going to wait until he’s 6 months old (a whopping 9 days from now) but decided to do it early because I kept hearing and reading about how babies do not like solids when they’re started and more of it ends up on their clothes than in their mouths (which I found to be a true statement).  So I wanted to give him a week to try to get used to it so that hopefully by the time he turns 6 months old, he may actually be eating the solids instead of wearing them :) 

We started out with rice cereal like you’re supposed to.  It seemed incredibly liquid to me.  I really thought it would be a little thicker than it was.  Carter was NOT loving eating from a spoon.  I guess I wouldn’t either.  I think he may have been more inclined to try it if it was a little more thick.  I’ve been told to add less breastmilk and more cereal to make the texture of it a little thicker in hopes of him eating it better.  I plan to try that tonight.  Right now, he only gets one feeding a day of the rice cereal.  We’ll continue to do only one feeding until probably Friday.  Mainly because I’m about to go out of town for two days for work and I don’t think Justin could handle it by himself.  I’m going to lectures in Auburn that will last all day Wednesday and Thursday but I’ll be back Thursday night and I have Friday off so I’ll start two feedings a day on Friday and eventually move up to three feedings a day by next week, hopefully. 

And of course…..I wanted to video the experience.  Obviously I take pictures and videos of a lot.  I don’t really know why.  I think it’s because I want Carter to have this stuff later in life.  I have videos of when I was a kid, like when I was 5 years old or older, but nothing from when I was a baby.  I would love to see that to see if I was anything like I am now.  So I think Carter may appreciate the videos and pictures later in life. 

So overall, solids first rodeo was an epic failure.  Round 2 will begin tonight. 

1 comments:

The Langham's said...

He is so cute, Marcie. He'll get the hang of it soon.

Archive