Monday, January 18, 2010

I'm slacking, I know

Yes I know, it's been a while since I've made a post. A couple of people have said something to me about it. I'm sorry, it's just that this is my busy time of the year so I don't have a lot of free time. This week at work is our first 50 hour week and next week is the same. The next two weeks after that are 55 hour weeks (and also when our working on Saturday begins) and every week after that until April 15th will be 60 hour weeks. I really think busy season this year will fly by for me. Let's hope so at least :)

Something I can mark off my list of 101 things to do in 1,001 days is that I went through all three closets in our household to sort out things to give to goodwill. I had a trunk full of stuff we took to the Salvation Army right when we got back in town from being in Nashville for Lillian's wedding. So that takes care of # 20.

Last week was not a good week for the world. So many tragic things happened. First was the earthquake in Haiti which as we have all heard was completely devastating. Our church is putting together kits of basic household items that we're shipping out to them. In fact, it's my awesome mother-in-law that's heading it up. She's such a good person. On top of that, a guy I went to high school with, Matt Miller, passed away tragically this weekend while he was duck hunting with his dad and few others. I didn't know Matt, but Justin did. He graduated from Hoover a year behind me, but he was a member of Saint Mark before he moved to become a pastor of his own. Please pray for his family. I hear his dad is having a really hard time since he was there to witness it. They need all the prayers they can get.

Finally, there was a devastating fire in Hoover at the Days Inn on Saturday night. Justin and I were driving from our house to Blockbuster because we planned on staying in and just renting movies that night. We took Tyler Road which brings us out by Ellis Piano on Hwy 31, essentially directly across from the hotel. Justin looked at the sky and said "wow look at those clouds" and then as we got closer, the fire appeared into our view and I said "or the smoke". I can't begin to explain how huge the fire was. When we drove by only a few cops were there, no ambulances or firetrucks yet. However the fire was literally burning the entire back portion of the hotel, which leads us to believe that some gas lines or something had to have burst (we're speculating of course) because there's no way a fire got that far out of control before firetrucks were called. Tragically, four people died in the hotel because they were trapped in their room. It was four college girls from Mississippi, ages 18 and 19. I can't imagine being their parents. Please keep them in your prayers as well. I didn't have my camera, but managed to get a picture with my phone. It's incredibly blurry and you can't see much, but you get the idea.


Please keep all these things in your prayers please. We should all thank God everyday for each and every breath he allows us to have, because it can get taken away so quickly. I hope everyone has a great week!


The Williamson's said...

I knew Matt from Camp Sumatanga and he was an amazing man. He will be dearly missed. I wasn't very close to him but I know that he has touched the lives of so many people and his death is a great loss for us.