Saturday, August 6, 2016

Garrett - 21 Months

My sweet chunk turned 21 months old on July 27, 2016.  From birth to 12 months old I posted on Garrett monthly, 12 months to 2 years I plan to post quarterly and then starting at 2 years old I'll do it twice a year.  That's how I did it with Carter so that's the plan for G-Money too.  Here's what he's into now:

 




Diapers

We moved up to size 5's.  Technically he can still fit into 4's, but I had so many size 5's around the house that I didn't want to spend money on 4's so he just started wearing 5's.  I think Carter got potty trained at a size 5.  Maybe Garrett will be the same, but we'll see.  Potty training isn't even on the horizon though.


Shoe Size

At 18 months old I had Garrett's foot measured and he was a 5 1/2 Wide.  I had tons of those size shoes that Carter passed down.  But in the last couple of weeks, I started noticing it being harder to put his shoes on.  So right before he turned 21 months old, I went to have him measured again.  Turns out, sweet boy is actually a 7 Wide.  Those poor feet of his.  We got him a brand new pair of shoes and then I went home and dug around to find all of Carter's old size 7s.  Luckily we have tons!


Clothes

He's still wearing 18 month clothes for the most part.  Some of his stuff is 24 months that was handed down from Carter and has been washed and dried a lot.  I'd say he's somewhere between 18 months and 2T though.  We'll probably whip open the 2T box of clothes within the next couple months.

 
Sleep

One nap during the day usually starting at 1pm.  This kid....y'all.  He loves to SLEEP.  His naps are anywhere from 2-3 hours long, sometimes lasting as long as 3.5 hours long.  He goes to bed for the night at 7:30-8pm and will usually sleep until about 8am the next morning.  He's pretty easy!
 


Feeding

Still loves pretty much all foods.  Really really LOVES pizza.  So unlike big bro.  He loves sandwiches and all things bread.  Again, so unlike big bro.  Feeding these kids the same meal sometimes is tough!!  Right now Garrett isn't loving corn.  Sadly I haven't given it to him very consistently so I need to do better at that.  His veggies usually include green beans, peas, corn and sometimes carrots, broccoli or sweet potatoes via a pouch.  We don't eat a lot of carrots or sweet potatoes in our house so I make sure his pouches he eats as a side are one of those. 
Also unlike big bro, he's not big into fruits.  He loves strawberries, peaches and a variety of fruit flavored yogurts.  But he won't eat blueberries or grapes like big bro will.  He loves applesauce, but we haven't tried an actual apple slice yet.  I don't think his teeth are ready for that.  He is very good at eating with a fork now.  We haven't really practiced with the spoon yet.  I'm a tad terrified to try!  He has shown huge interest in eating at the table like the rest of us instead of in his high chair, so just this week, Justin took the tray off his high chair and adjusted the height so that he can be rolled up to the table at the same level with the rest of us.  He loves it.
 
 
 
Mother's Day Out
We haven't started school just yet.  His first day is August 22nd.  We changed schools to a school at a church significantly closer to our house so neither of the boys really knows anyone that will be in their classes nor do they know their teachers.  I hope and pray this isn't going to be an issue.  They have become super comfortable with all things associated with our church so this is definitely a change for them.  But I'm confident they will do fine.  
 

Abilities

Flags.  Garrett's activities include the American flag.  Numerous flags in fact.  Justin just did a bathroom renovation for us and each time he went to Home Depot with Garrett, he had to buy one of those 99 cent flags that they had at checkout.  Garrett points them out everywhere he goes.  Flags to Garrett is like Buicks for Carter.  He also loves jumping on mom and dad's bed.  Which is frustrating.  I remember that about this exact age, Carter went through a head-banging phase.  Well G-Money is there now too.  Every time you say "ouchie" he bangs his head on something.  So weird.
 
 

He loves to be outside but that has been tough lately because of how hot it is outside!!  He is loving the splash pad at the Birmingham Zoo.  He also really LOVES going to the YMCA into the child care room.  He adores playing in there and the women in there say he always has so much fun.  He's obsessed with cars just like Carter is. They frequently fight over cars even though we literally have every single Hot Wheel ever made in our living room.

He's starting to talk a lot more and we can understand a lot more words.  He's not talking in full sentences yet.  In fact, I think he's only said two words together such as "big car" or "red car" a handful of times.  I'm not worried by this though.  It's pretty typical for this age.  I just try not to get bogged down comparing him to Carter because Carter was very vocal at a very young age.  Doc says that Garrett may just not be a talkative child like Carter is.  Fine by me ;)


Still working on body parts and he knows a ton.  His favorite by far is belly button.  He loves lifting his shirt and showing you his belly button and sometimes, if he knows you well enough, he'll lift your shirt and look at your belly button too!  He also knows head, eyes, ears, mouth, nose, arms, legs, and feet.  So pretty much all the big ones.  Once every blue moon he'll mix up arms and legs for some reason, but most of the time he gets it right.

He is amazing at walking on his own and staying next to me.  Anytime I take both boys somewhere, Garrett knows that as soon as his feet hit the pavement in a parking lot, he has to hold me and Carter's hands.  We get a lot of comments going into places of people saying how cute they are holding hands.  I think so too.  But honestly I'm just trying to keep everyone together and not get hit by a car!


Statistics

Sadly I don't know these.  I have a scale, but just haven't weighed him.  I can't get the kid to stand still long enough to measure him.  He has a growth scale on his wall and the last mark he had was at 20 months so we do a mark on his chart about every 2-3 months.  If I had to guess though, I'd say he's roughly 50% for weight and maybe 40% or so for height.   
 
 
Teething
 
Garrett has all of his teeth except his second year molars.  Every time he chews on stuff a lot and gets cranky, I think he's getting them in, but then they never come.  So I have no clue when they will come in!  I don't plan to take him to the dentist until he's 3.  I know some dentists want you to bring them in once they get their first tooth but I am so not doing that.  Plenty of dentists want you to wait until they're 3 so that they don't get traumatized by the dentist and always have a bad memory of that building and of him/her.  I agree whole heartedly.  We brush Garrett's teeth twice a day and once those molars come in, we'll begin flossing too.  I'd rather wait to take him to a dentist until he's old enough to comprehend instructions and obey them.  Any earlier than that and it will be a disaster!
 
That's about it!  Next post on G-Money will be his TWO YEAR post.  I can't even comprehend that!!!!

1 comments:

Amy Likes Crafts said...

I've always read/heard that second kids are usually less vocal because they just don't have to talk because the big sibling does all the talking for them. I've notice this with our boys, who are almost identical in age to yours. Little guy just lets brother handle the conversations!

Archive